2019 Edition – Diet and Nutrition Care Manual: A Comprehensive Nutrition Care Guide
Great for sub-acute, transitional care, nursing facilities, or acute care. Includes guidelines for evidence based practice, including the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate, sample menus for all diets, comprehensive information on each disease state/condition. Use this best-selling resource as an evidence based reference to provide nutrition care, interpret diets, write menus, meet federal regulations, and define physician diet orders. Easy to use tools, charts and guidelines! Approximately 500 pages.
Revisions since the 2016 edition include:
- Updated all chapters to reflect current evidence-based guidelines and current standards of nutrition care.
- Incorporated information from the:
- International Dysphagia Diet Standardisation Initiative (IDDSI).
- 2018 Scientific Report from the Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee.
- 2017 Guideline for Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure in Adults published by the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association.
- 2018 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes.
- Updated recent research on sodium intake, cardiovascular health, and heart failure.
- Updated information on GI care including information on ostomies.
Need to order multiple copies? Contact us if you are want more than 10 copies.
See “Related Products” below.
I often thought a diet manual would include diet information only, but this manual had so much more specific disease information that explained the reasoning behind the actual diet principles and MNT. It was a great review for me! Awesome reference!
Our corporation just went to this diet manual this year. This honestly is the most useful manual our corporation has used. I think it is awesome!
- Regular Diet and Alterations: liberalized diet for older adults, high calorie/high protein, food intolerance/allergy, low lactose, vegetarian, finger foods, gluten free, Kosher diets
- Consistency Alterations: dysphagia diets for each level, mechanical/dental soft, full and clear liquid, thickened liquids
- Weight Management: practice guidelines, strategies, recommended diet patterns, concerns in older adults, bariatric surgery/diets, medications, calorie restricted, calorie specific diets
- Cardiovascular Health: hypertension, cardiovascular disease, heart failure, lifestyle recommendations, healthy eating patterns including DASH, Mediterranean, therapeutic lifestyle change; 2 gram and 1500 mg sodium diets, healthy spices, tips for dining out, etc.
- Diets for Cardiovascular Health: risk factors, lifestyle management, heart healthy diet, TLC diet, and more
- Diabetes Mellitus: preventing complications, goals of MNT, menu planning, physical activity, approaches for older adults, hypo/hyperglycemia, medical management, medications/insulins, carbohydrate counting, consistent carbohydrate diet and mechanical soft/puree versions, clear liquid for diabetes, food choice values, meal replacements, etc.
- Gastrointestinal Diets: the gut microbiome, GI symptoms/conditions, constipation, diarrhea, cramps, heartburn, bloating, nausea, vomiting; low FODMAPS, high fiber and low fiber diets, etc.
- Diets for Chronic Kidney Disease: 5 stages of CKD, MNT for renal disease, nutrition and fluid restriction guidelines, lowering potassium, potassium levels in foods, hyperphosphatemia, high phosphorous foods, menu planning tips, diets and nutrition information for each stage of CKD, dialysis diets, liberalized renal diet, liberalized renal diet for diabetes, etc.
- Specific Diseases: Alzheimer’s/dementia, hepatic disease, HIV/AIDS, osteoporosis, PKU, pulmonary disease
- Specific Conditions: anemia, dehydration, failure to thrive, gout, malnutrition, palliative care, pressure ulcers, sarcopenia, unintended weight loss
- Nutrition Support: guidelines for enteral feeding, documentation, medication administration, calculating adequate flushes, selecting enteral formulas, disease specific formulas, determining feeding schedules, calculating volume and administration of feeding, refeeding syndrome, transitioning to oral foods, complications, end of life nutrition, discontinuing enteral feeding; parenteral nutrition, indications, potential complications, comprehensive nutrition assessment, nutient requirements, macronutrients, vitamin/trace element requirements, electrolyte guidelines, delivery of PN, documentation/monitoring for PN, discontinuing PN, calculation charts
- Pregnancy and Lactation: nutrient needs, prenatal vitamin/mineral supplements, key nutrients needed, herbal and botanical supplements, fortified foods, multiple gestations, GI issues, weight gain guidelines, environmental/dietary issues, losing weight after delivery, lactation, medical conditions/allergies, gestational diabetes, hypertension; best sources of vitamins/minerals, vegetarian nutrition, food safety during pregnancy/lactation
- Pediatric Nutrition: breastfeeding, formula feeding, solid foods, foods to avoid in first 4/12 months, normal growth in first year, feeding guide, children/adolescents estimated calorie needs by age, nutrition for toddlers, preschoolers, school aged children and adolescents, food allergies, vegetarian diets, disordered eating, obesity, BMI, health risks of obesity, diabetes, physical activity
- Appendix: dietary patterns for good health – Mediterranean/Vegetarian/DASH Eating Plans, food sources of potassium, calcium, vitamin D and fiber, herbs/supplements, physical activity, nutrition screening and assessment, nutrition focused physical assessment, obtaining accurate heights/weights, adjusting weights for amputees, unintended weight loss, BMI, nutrient needs calculations, equations for calories/protein/fluids, nutritional needs during stress, etc.
See “Sample Pages” above for the full Table of Contents.
Becky Dorner, RDN, LD, FAND is widely-known as one of the nation’s leading experts on nutrition, aging, and long-term care. An experienced speaker and extensively published author, Becky is the Founder/President of Nutrition Consulting Services, Inc., whose dedicated team of RDNs and NDTRs have served health care facilities since 1983; and Becky Dorner & Associates, Inc., which offers a broad library of resources and continuing professional education programs. Her free email magazine keeps 35,000 health care professionals up to date on the latest news in the field.
Honors include: Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy), Academy Award of Excellence in Business and Consultation, NE Outstanding Nutrition Entrepreneur, Academy Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year and DHCC Distinguished Member Award.
Liz Friedrich, MPH, RD, CSG, LDN, FAND, NWCC is a Registered Dietitian and president of Friedrich Nutrition Consulting in Salisbury, NC. The company provides a variety of nutrition consulting services with a focus on gerontological nutrition. She has co-authored numerous articles in journals and magazines, including the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Liz was the Associate Director of Nutrition411.com, a respected website for dietitians, and is an evidence analyst for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Evidence Analysis Library. In 2009 Liz became Board Certified as a Specialist in Gerontological Nutrition.
Honors include: Two North Carolina Dietetic Association awards, the Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year (1991) and the Member of the Year (2000).