New Course based on our best selling manual which is used in thousands of hospitals, nursing facilities, rehab centers, and other post acute care settings.
This self-study course is based on a comprehensive resource that includes guidelines for evidence-based practice, including the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate, updated information on cardiovascular disease, hypertension, pressure injuries, and more! Sample menus for all diets, plus information on each disease state/condition. This resource can be used as an evidence-based reference for providing nutrition care, interpreting diets, writing menus, meeting federal regulations, and defining physician diet orders. The manual is over 500 pages. Downloadable self-study guide included.
See “Product Samples” for the full Table of Contents of the manual.
Course includes hard copy book and 1 certificate.
This self study course and book was an interesting read, thought provoking, and science based with a unique point of view.
After completing this continuing education course, the learner should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of normal nutrition as described by the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
- Describe how to individualize nutrition care for adults and older adults to help prevent and/or treat a variety of disease states and medical conditions.
- Develop a plan for nutrition care for common food intolerances and/or allergies.
- Summarize common nutrition interventions used to treat dysphagia.
- Describe indications for, contraindications for, selection of, and prescription of enteral and parenteral feeding.
- Discuss basic nutrition care guidelines for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Discuss basic nutrition care guidelines for children.
- Apply knowledge of individualized medical nutrition therapy through the use of case studies.
- Adjust the menus in a food service operation to reflect diet patterns that can prevent and/or treat a variety of disease states and medical conditions.
This course is intended for: RDNs, CDEs/CDCES, and NDTRs
CDR Activity Number: 146820 Self Study Activity Type: 720 Printed
CPE Level: 2
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes:
- 5000 Medical Nutrition Therapy
- 5040 Long-term, intermediate, assisted living
- 5050 Rehabilitation
- 5100 Elderly
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators:
- 8.1.5 Applies medical nutrition therapy in disease prevention and management.
- 8.3.1 Maintains the knowledge and skill to manage a variety of disease states and clinical conditions.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
- 12.4.6 Applies and integrates the Nutrition Care Process to meet the complex needs of the target population.
Additional Learning Needs Codes and Performance Indicators may apply.
This course is also approved by the Certifying Board of Dietary Managers (CBDM).
Hours: 6 General CE
Approval Number: 164357
Each CDM in attendance will be required to report their CE hours by logging into their online account at www.ANFPonline.org.
CDMs are to retain a copy of the certificate of completion in the event they are audited.
From CBDM: “All CBDM Prior Approved programs are subjected to the CE hour limitations for a program type as defined by CBDM policy. For more information, please refer to The CBDM Guide to Maintaining your Credential”.
This self-study course includes required reading, a downloadable course document and an online exam with multiple choice, case study based questions. This course exam includes 182 questions. Upon passing the test, the learner can download and print the certificate.
Becky Dorner, RDN, LD, FAND is widely-known as one of the nation’s leading experts on nutrition, aging, and long-term care. An experienced speaker and extensively published author, Becky is the Founder/President of Nutrition Consulting Services, Inc., whose dedicated team of RDNs and NDTRs have served health care facilities since 1983; and Becky Dorner & Associates, Inc., which offers a broad library of resources and continuing professional education programs. Her free email magazine keeps 35,000 health care professionals up to date on the latest news in the field.
Liz Friedrich, MPH, RD, CSG, LDN, FAND is a Registered Dietitian and president of Friedrich Nutrition Consulting in Salisbury, NC. The company provides a variety of nutrition consulting services with a focus on gerontological nutrition. She has co-authored numerous articles in journals and magazines. Liz was also the Associate Director of Nutrition411.com, a respected website for dietitians, and is an evidence analyst for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Evidence Analysis Library. In 2009 Liz became Board Certified as a Specialist in Gerontological Nutrition.