New 2021 Edition Course! This new course is based on our best selling manual which is used in thousands of hospitals, nursing facilities, rehab centers, and other post acute care settings.
This self-study course is based on a comprehensive resource manual that includes guidelines for evidence-based practice, including the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2020-2025 and MyPlate, sample menus for all diets, and comprehensive information on each disease state/condition. The manual can be used as an evidence-based reference for providing nutrition care, interpreting diets, writing menus, meeting federal regulations, and defining physician diet orders. Approximately 500 pages. An additional downloadable self-study guide is included with this course.
See “Product Samples” for the full Table of Contents of the hard copy manual.
Course includes hard copy book and 1 certificate.
Already have the book? Under “Product Options”, simply choose “Additional Certificate” to purchase the CPE self-study program.
After completing this continuing education course, the learner should be able to:
- Apply medical nutrition therapy in disease prevention and management of a wide variety of medical conditions and stages of the life cycle.
- Maintain the knowledge and skills to manage a variety of disease states and clinical conditions.
- Keep abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends as they apply to a wide variety of disease states and stages of the life cycle.
- Apply and integrate the Nutrition Care Process to meet the complex needs of different target populations.
This course is intended for: RDNs, CDEs/CDCES, and NDTRs
CDR Activity Number: 166233 Self Study Activity Type: 720 Printed
CPE Level: 2
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators:
- 8.1.5 Demonstrates knowledge of nutrient requirements throughout the lifespan, and their role in health promotion and disease prevention.
- 8.2.4 Integrates new knowledge of disease states and clinical conditions into practice.
- 8.5.1 Plans and designs nutritionally sound meals, menus and meal plans that promote health and disease management, and meet client needs.
- 10.3.2 Determines factors impacting client/patient progress in meeting goals and adjusts nutrition care plans accordingly.
Additional Performance Indicators may apply.
This self-study course includes required reading, a downloadable course document and an online exam with multiple choice, case study based questions. This course exam includes 145 questions. Upon passing the test, the learner can download and print the certificate.
Becky Dorner, RDN, LD, FAND is widely-known as one of the nation’s leading experts on nutrition, aging, and long-term health care. An extensively published author and experienced speaker, Becky is Founder/President of Becky Dorner & Associates, Inc., which provides a broad library of credible continuing education (CE) programs and nutrition resources. She was also Founder/President of Nutrition Consulting Services, Inc., whose dedicated team of RDNs/NDTRs served health care facilities in Ohio from 1983-2020.
Becky has published more than 300 health care articles, manuals, and CE programs; presented and/or hosted more than 650 CE programs for national, international, and state professional meetings in 5 countries and 50 states. Her free email magazine keeps 30,000 health care professionals up to date on the latest news in the field. An active leader, she has held more than 20 board positions on national and state professional associations including the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) and the National Pressure Injury Advisory Panel. Honors include: Academy Medallion Award, Fellow of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, and the Academy Award of Excellence in Business and Consultation.
Liz Friedrich, MPH, RD, CSG, LDN, FAND, NWCC is a registered dietitian and president of Friedrich Nutrition Consulting in Salisbury, NC. The company provides a variety of nutrition consulting services with a focus on gerontological nutrition.
Liz is Board Certified as a Specialist in Gerontological Nutrition and is Nutrition Wound Care Certified. She has authored and co-authored numerous articles in journals and magazines and textbook chapters and has served as an evidence analyst for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (Academy) Evidence Analysis Library. She is an accomplished speaker on topics related to both older adults and wound healing. Liz has held numerous national and state positions for the Academy, Nutrition Entrepreneurs Dietetic Practice Group, and the North Carolina Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She is the recipient of two NCDA awards, the Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year and the Member of the Year.
Many experts have devoted their time, effort and knowledge to current and past editions of this manual. See the manual for a full list.