Learn the benefits of diabetes self-management education and support, when it should be provided, and discuss potential barriers.
This continuing professional education (CPE) self-study short course includes required reading of an article that outlines the benefits of diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES), defines critical times when DSMES should be provided, and discusses potential barriers to accessing DSMES.
A case-study based CPE exam helps the reader apply the information to their work setting and patient caseload.
Purchasing Options: This is available as eDocument plus CPE Test only. Includes a link to the required reading in the course document, electronic test, and 1 certificate with passing grade.
After completing this continuing professional education course, the learner should be able to:
- Integrate relevant information with previous learning, experience, professional knowledge and current practice models for diabetes self-management education and support (DSMES).
- Differentiate between outdated and current evidence-based practice related to DSMES.
- Analyze new information and how it impacts medical nutrition therapy for DSMES.
- Collaborate with community partners and stakeholders in promoting DSMES.
This course is intended for: RDNs, NDTRs and CDCESs
CDR Activity Number: 172249 Self Study Activity Type: 720 Printed
CPE Level: II
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators:
- 4.2.6 Integrates relevant information with previous learning, experience, professional knowledge and current practice models.
- 8.2.2 Differentiates between outdated and current evidence-based practice related to the management of diseases and clinical conditions
- 8.2.3 Analyzes new information and how it impacts medical nutrition therapy
- 12.1.3 Collaborates with community partners and stakeholders in promoting health and disease prevention
Note: Numerous other Performance Indicators may apply.
This self-study course includes required reading, a downloadable course document and an online exam with multiple choice, case study based questions. This course exam includes 10 questions. Upon passing the test, the learner can download and print the certificate.
Required Reading for this Course: Diabetes Self-management Education and Support in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: A Consensus Report of the American Diabetes Association, the Association of Diabetes Care and Education Specialists, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Academy of Pas, the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, and the American Pharmacists Association (a link to the document is included in the downloadable course document).
Disclaimer: The text associated with this course is required solely for the course taker to learn the underlying principles that will be applied in taking a case-study based exam. Neither the authors nor the publishers of the text/book have contributed to or endorsed this course.