SPECIAL EVENT! Earn 1.5 CPEs!
Stay abreast of current guidelines to provide the most up to date evidence-based nutrition care.
Diabetes is a complex chronic illness requiring ongoing education and support to reduce the risk of serious complications. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released statistics in 2022 that estimated 130 million people in the U.S. are living with diabetes or prediabetes.
Lifestyle modification is the cornerstone of diabetes care and RDNs are uniquely qualified members of the healthcare team who can guide those with prediabetes or diabetes towards better outcomes. As professionals, we must stay abreast of current guidelines to provide the best evidence-based nutrition care.
Join Kathy Warwick, RDN, CDCES as she provides an update on the American Diabetes Association’s “Standards of Care in Diabetes – 2023” Kathy will provide insight and education on the current relevant guidelines for RDNs who are involved in the various aspects of diabetes care and prevention.
Note: If you purchase the live session, the recording is automatically added to your BDA account within a few days of the live event. To access the recording, sign into your BDA account at: https://www.beckydorner.com/ and choose Webinars.
After completing this continuing education course the learner should be able to:
- Discuss the key revisions of the 2023 American Diabetes Association Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes.
- Integrate and individualize the current nutrition care guidelines when caring for individuals with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Identify key times throughout the continuum of diabetes care for appropriate diabetes self-management education.
- Explain the challenges clients living with diabetes face and opportunities for RDNs to facilitate relevant team-based care.
This course is intended for: RDNs, NDTRs, CDCESs and CDMs
CDR Activity Number: Live: 174152 / Recorded: 174153
Activity Type: 171 Live Webinar/ 175 Recorded Pre-approved CPE
CPE Level: 2
Suggested Performance Indicators:
- 2.3.1 Identifies needs for and negotiates common ground with clients, inter- and intra-professional team members, and other stakeholders.
- 4.1.2 Interprets and integrates evidence-based research and literature in decision-making.
- 8.2.4 Integrates new knowledge of disease states and clinical conditions into practice.
- 9.4.3 Adjusts teaching plans and delivery to meet the needs of specified individuals, groups and populations.
Note: Numerous other Performance Indicators may apply.
This course has been approved by the Certifying Board of Dietary Managers (CBDM).
Approval Number: 167358
Each CDM in attendance will be required to report their CE hours by logging into their online account at www.ANFPonline.org.
CDMs are to retain a copy of the certificate of completion in the event they are audited.
From CBDM: “All CBDM Prior Approved programs are subjected to the CE hour limitations for a program type as defined by CBDM policy. For more information, please refer to The CBDM Guide to Maintaining your Credential”.
Kathy Warwick, RDN, CDCES is a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist and Certified Diabetes Care and Education Specialist with 39 years of experience in several areas of dietetics practice. She is owner of Professional Nutrition Consultants, LLC in Madison, Mississippi, providing diabetes education and support, long term care consultation, hospice consultation, wellness program services, media communications and medical-legal consultation.
Kathy speaks regularly to community and professional groups and has presented at multiple national webinars. She has authored several articles and serves as a medical reviewer for Heatlhline.com and Medical News Today. Kathy currently serves as the Associate Editor of On the Cutting Edge, for the Diabetes Care and Education Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She is a Past-President of the Mississippi Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. In her spare time, Kathy enjoys her grand babies, gardening, caring for her chickens, yoga, and a weekly art class.
Disclosures: Kathy is Consultant to Hormel Health Labs and Becky Dorner & Associates. However, she has certified that no conflict of interest exists for this program.