Free 1 CPE!
Join Amanda Mellowspring, MS, RD/N, CEDRD-S to discuss Binge Eating Disorder and cover effective treatment strategies and interventions focusing on behavior rather than weight.
Binge Eating Disorder (BED) is the most common eating disorder in the United States. Lack of understanding of BED and weight-biased interventions lead to under-diagnosis and limited access to appropriate care. Treating individuals who struggle with binge eating with compassion and expertise requires confidence and skills in challenging social constructs regarding food and weight. This discussion will address when to refer BED clients to an eating disorder specialist, how to build competency in ability to treat BED clients, and will use case scenarios to cover effective treatment strategies and interventions focusing on behavior rather than weight.
This complimentary webinar is brought to you with the generous support of
By obtaining CPE credit, you agree to allow your information to be shared with Monte Nido & Affiliates.
After completing this continuing education course the learner should be able to:
- Determine when it is appropriate to refer a person with Binge Eating Disorder to a specialist.
- Implement food-related exposure therapy interventions that decrease binge eating behavior.
- Differentiate and appropriately apply mindful eating and intuitive eating principles.
- Set effective treatment goals to help patients decrease and reach cessation of binge eating behavior without focusing on weight.
This course is intended for: RDNs
CDR Activity Number: Live 169262 / Recorded: 169263 (Recording expires on May 31, 2024)
Activity Type: 171 Live Webinar/ 175 Recorded Pre-approved CPE
1.0 CPE CPE Level: 2
Suggested Performance Indicators:
- 9.1.3 Identifies and analyzes factors that influence change in behaviors.
- 9.6.2 Applies a variety of counseling theories, psychological methods and strategies that empower clients/patients to make changes.
- 10.2.10 Gathers and evaluates information related to behaviors, beliefs, knowledge, and client/patient attitudes that influence nutrition and health.
- 10.2.12 Gathers information that affects intake and nutrition and health status (e.g., cultural, ethnic, religious, lifestyle influencers, psychosocial, and social determinants of health).
Note: Numerous other Performance Indicators may apply.
Amanda Mellowspring, MS,RD/N,CEDRD-S
Amanda is a Certified Eating Disorder Registered Dietitian and Supervisor through the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP) with close to two decades of experience leading the treatment of eating disorders at various levels of care. Amanda currently serves on the Certification Committee and Supervisors Sub-committee for IAEDP. Amanda co-authored the initial publication defining the Standards of Practice and Standards of Professional Performance for dietitians working with eating disorders in the Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and is a noted speaker regarding eating disorder recovery and nutrition.
Amanda provides professional supervision to dietitians and providers seeking certification as eating disorder specialists and currently serves as Vice President of Nutrition Services for Monte Nido & Affiliates, overseeing nutrition programming and services for Monte Nido programs, Oliver-Pyatt Centers, and Clementine programs across the country.
She is passionate about helping individuals truly heal from all forms of disordered eating through a compassionate, non-diet, non-shaming approach. Supporting dietitians in their own growth through these concepts is one of Amanda’s greatest passions in her work.
Disclosure: Amanda Mellowspring, MS,RD/N,CEDRD-S is Vice President of Monte Nido & Affiliates, however, she certifies that there are no conflicts of interest for this program.
Click here for Handouts.
Q&A for When Malnutrition Lives in a Larger Body Part 2.
To receive your certificate, please sign into your BDA account.
- Click on the “Add Test to Your Account” button below this message. This will automatically add the test to your account.
- Go to “Member Area” and in your account, click on the “Tests/Certificate” tab.
- Scroll down to “Send or Use Additional Tests/Certificates”. Find the corresponding program and click on “Use”.
- Scroll up to “Tests/Certificates” and click “Start” to obtain your certificate.