Learn how to determine the most appropriate evidence based nutrition and physical activity interventions for sarcopenia in this short CPE self-study course!
This course is only available as a “CPE Additional Certificate”. There is no hard copy book – the link to the “required reading” is included in the course document.
This continuing professional education self-study course includes required reading of an article which provides a comprehensive review of published randomized controlled trials that investigated either nutrition and physical activity strategies to improve muscle mass, muscle function or physical performance in older adults. Example interventions discussed include physical activity, along with supplementation of protein, essential amino acids, β-hydroxy-β-ethylbutyrate, creatine and vitamin D.
The systematic review and the CPE course will help participants understand the best evidenced-based strategies to treat sarcopenia in older adults. The CPE course requires the participant to apply the information in the systemic review to a case-study based exam.
Purchasing Options: This is available as Additional Certificate only. Includes a link to the required reading in the course document, electronic test, and 1 certificate with passing grade.
For clinicians working with the older adult popuation, sarcopenia is an ongoing issue that needs to be considered and addressed. This self study course provides a good overview of recent literature findings with this patient population regarding exercise and dietary supplementation recommendations.
This course is an excellent review of current evidence based research options for the treatment of sarcopenia in older adults.
After completing this continuing professional education course, the learner should be able to:
- Interpret evidenced-based research and literature when determining appropriate interventions to prevent sarcopenia.
- Apply research and evidence-based findings to improve prevention of sarcopenia.
- Keep abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends related to sarcopenia.
- Make recommendations for the appropriate use of vitamin and mineral supplementation for prevention or delaying sarcopenia.
This course is intended for: RDNs and NDTRs
CDR Activity Number:160448 Self Study Activity Type: 720 Printed
CPE Level: II
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators:
- 4.1.2 Interprets and integrates evidence-based research and literature in decision making.
- 6.2.5 Applies research/evidence-based findings to improve practice, service delivery, and health and nutrition of customers.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
- 10.4.4 Makes recommendations for the appropriate use of vitamin and mineral supplementation in the management of health and disease.
Note: Numerous other Performance Indicators may apply.
This self-study course includes required reading, a downloadable course document and an online exam with multiple choice, case study based questions. This course exam includes 9 questions. Upon passing the test, the learner can download and print the certificate.
Required Reading for this Course: Nutrition and physical activity in the prevention and treatment of sarcopenia: systemic review by Beaudart C, Dawson A, Shaw SC, Harvey NC, Kanis JA, Binkley N, Reginster JY, Chapurlat R, Chan DC, Bruyère O, Rizzoli R, Cooper C, Dennison EM.
Disclaimer: The text associated with this course is required solely for the course taker to learn the underlying principles which they will apply in taking a case-study based exam. Neither the authors nor the publishers of the text have contributed to or endorsed this course.