This course is designed for the RDN who wants to increase competency levels in nutrition focused physical exam.
After carefully reviewing the 2018 Nutrition Focused Physical Exam Pocket Guide, Second Edition and the components of the Nutrition Focused Physical Exam (NFPE) as described in the course module, you will be presented with four case studies. Each case study includes exam questions which require the ability to practice implementation of the NFPE process.
While this module does not require hands on practice, it is advisable to practice with a fellow professional if one has not employed the tools of physical assessment.
Note: This hard copy book is a pocket guide so the text font size is small.
Already have the book? Under “Product Options” simply choose “Additional Certificate” to purchase the CPE Self-Study Program.
“My nutrition consulting company (with over 50 RDNs) uses Becky Dorner & Associates nearly exclusively to meet our continuing education needs outside of our own in-person training. I trust that any continuing education provided by BDA is current, on-point and delivered in a professional and... Read More
After completing this continuing education course, the learner should be able to:
- Define the six categories of clinical characteristics for identification of adult malnutrition within the Nutrition Focused Physical Exam.
- Identify the anatomical areas utilized in assessment of body fat and muscle.
- Determine what is normal vs. abnormal for measurement of body fat and muscle.
- Describe the techniques for measurement of physical findings of malnutrition.
- Describe the four stages of pitting edema used in the Nutrition Focused Physical Exam.
- Document a diagnosis of malnutrition using the Nutrition Focused Physical Exam process.
- Develop appropriate and accurate PES statements for patients/residents with evidence of adult malnutrition.
- Employ the Nutrition Focused Physical Exam in practice.
This course is intended for: RDNs, CDEs, and NDTRs
CDR Activity Number: 139619 Self Study Activity Type: 720 Printed
CPE Level: 2
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes:
- 3000 Nutrition assessment and diagnosis
- 3010 Assessment methodology
- 3030 Anthropometrics, body composition
- 5390 Care planning, documentation and evaluation
Additional Learning Needs Codes that may apply (including but not limited to): 1010, 3080, 5090, 5100, 5280
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators:
- 8.1.1 Interprets and applies evidence-based comparative standards for determining nutritional needs
- 10.2.1 Identifies and selects valid and reliable tools to conduct a comprehensive nutrition assessment
- 10.2.3 Analyzes and synthesizes the assessment data to identify nutrition problems following the Standards of Practice in Nutrition Care for RDNs
- 10.2.4 Integrates foundational dietetics knowledge with critical appraisal of assessment data to diagnose nutrition problems, which can be resolved or improved through treatment or nutrition intervention
Additional Practice Competencies/Performance Indicators may apply (including but not limited to): 1.1.5, 1.2.2, 4.2.6, 4.2.8, 8.3.5, 8.3.7
Additional Learning Needs Codes and Practice Competencies/Performance Indicators may apply.
Beth Mordarski, RDN, LD
Jodi Wolff, MS, RDN, LD, FAND