Advance your level of practice by incorporating nutrition focused physical assessment (NFPA) techniques to support your nutrition diagnoses and provide objective markers to measure health outcomes.
This course includes an essential reference book with over 200 photos and illustrations as well as the 2011 characteristics of malnutrition. Mastering NFPA, practitioners will learn to identify changes in physical findings, functional status, and body composition, to target care plan strategies specific to nutrition diagnoses, weight loss, and suboptimal nutrient intake.
Using the initial assessment findings as benchmarks, followup assessments using NFPA techniques serve as a gauge to measure improvement in nutritional status.
Course includes soft cover book with CD of case studies that serve as skills-building tutorial and paper testing.
All CPEs must be completed within one year of purchase.
"Yes, this is great! There isn’t anything out there like it to my knowledge. I wish it was available when I was studying for my first CSSD exam."
After completing this continuing education course, the learner should be able to:
- Explain the relationship between nutritional status indicators and changes in overall health.
- Discuss NFPA as a component of Nutrition Care Process
- Describe the basic components of NFPA in terms of body systems, overall appearance and vital signs
- Describe normal appearance for skin, hair and nails.
- Identify potential macronutrient deficiencies associated with changes in skin, nails and hair using NFPA
- Differentiate wounds by type and stage using NFPA.
- Identify potential macronutrient deficiencies using NFPA
- Identify potential micronutrient deficiencies using NFPA
CDR Learning Level: III
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes:
- 3000, 3020, 3030, 3040, 3080
- 5000, 5010, 5020, 5030, 5040, 5050, 5090, 5100, 5230, 5280, 53800
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators:
- 4.1.1, 4.1.2
- 8.1.3, 8.3.1, 8.3.6
- 10.2.3, 10.2.4
Additional Learning Needs Codes and Performance Indicators may apply.
Dr. Mary Litchford, PhD, RD, LDN, is a trailblazer in the field of dietetics known nationally as an acclaimed speaker, author, medical-legal expert and consultant to health care providers. She began her career in public health nutrition setting up WIC programs and then spent a decade teaching dietetics students at University of North Carolina-Greensboro and North Carolina A & T State University.
For the last 20 years, she has demonstrated her expertise as a nutrition entrepreneur. She is president of CASE Software & Books, a professional and educational resource company focusing on advanced level continuing education for Registered Dietitians and computer-based instructional materials for dietetics students. She also lectures throughout the country at state affiliate meetings, DPG conferences and industry sponsored programs.
She has written 26 professional reference books, 18 instructional software programs for dietetics students, numerous chapters in college textbooks and ADA publications, many referred scholarly articles and other professional publications. She has written numerous continuing education products for the Association of Nutrition & Food Service Professionals and wrote the clinical nutrition curriculum for the Certified Dietary Managers Course for North Carolina Community Colleges.