Challenged on what to recommend when a client is implementing lifestyle modifications? Learn to sort through the evidence and individualize eating plans for those with diabetes and prediabetes.
Kathy Warwick, RD, CDE will discuss the updated American Diabetes Association Nutrition Therapy Guidelines.
Diabetes is a complex chronic illness requiring ongoing education and support for those adults who have been diagnosed with diabetes or prediabetes. Deciphering what they should be eating is frequently the biggest challenge when it comes to lifestyle modifications. RDNs can be instrumental in helping sort through the options and individualizing eating plans that consider the desires and abilities of the adult with diabetes. As dietetic professionals, we must be kept up to date on the most current evidence-based guidelines in order to provide the support that is needed. In this webinar, Kathy Warwick, RD, CDE will discuss the updated American Diabetes Association nutrition therapy guidelines for those with diabetes and prediabetes.
This is an excellent CPE program! So many people are interested in Genomics and how nutrition plays a role in our gene expression. Nutritional choices can help prevent chronic disease, meaning aging healthfully truly starts in the kitchen. This course has so much useful information.
After attending this session attendees will be able to:
- Discuss the importance of MNT based on individualized eating plans versus “one-size fits all” nutrition guidance for effective self-management of diabetes and prediabetes in adults.
- Identify the role of macronutrients in various eating plans for those with diabetes and prediabetes.
- Compare and contrast several eating patterns and examine the evidence-based guidelines for those with diabetes and prediabetes.
This course is intended for: RDNs, CDEs, NDTRs
CDR Activity Number Live: 150004 / Recorded:150468
Activity Type: 171 Live Webinar OR 175 Recorded Pre-Approved CPE
CPE Level: 2
Suggested Performance Indicators:
- 8.1.1 Interprets and applies evidence-based comparative standards for determining nutritional needs.
- 8.1.3 Integrates knowledge of macronutrients and micronutrients for absorption, digestion and metabolism throughout the life span.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
- 10.2.9 In collaboration with the client and interdisciplinary team (including NDTS), selects and implements current and evidence-based nutrition interventions and patient education.
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes:
- 2070 Macronutrients: carbohydrate, fat, protein, fiber, water
- 5000 Medical Nutrition Therapy
- 5190 Diabetes Mellitus
- 5370 Weight Management, obesity
Note: Numerous Other Learning Needs Codes and Performance Indicators May Apply.
Kathy Warwick, RD, CDE
Kathy Warwick is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator with 36 years of experience in several areas of dietetics practice. She is owner of Professional Nutrition Consultants, LLC in Madison, Mississippi, providing inpatient and outpatient diabetes education, long term care consultation, hospice consultation, wellness program services, media communications and medical-legal consultation.
Kathy speaks regularly to community and professional groups and has presented multiple national webinars. She has authored several articles and serves as a medical reviewer for Heatlhline.com. Kathy currently serves as the Print Communications Chair for the Diabetes Care and Education Practice Group of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and is a Past-President of the Mississippi Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. In her spare time, Kathy enjoys her grand babies, gardening, caring for her chickens, yoga, and a weekly art class.
Disclosures: No conflict of interest exists for this webinar.