Course Expiration: January 3, 2024
Learn to apply medical nutrition therapy in disease prevention and management of thyroid conditions with this new evidence-based course!
This continuing professional education self-study course includes required reading of The Health Professional’s Guide to Nutrition Management of Thyroid Disease. This comprehensive reference provides information for dietitians, physicians, and other health care professionals that treat patients with thyroid disease. Using the most current evidence-based guidelines from the American Thyroid Association, the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, and available research, this guide addresses topics that include but are not limited to:
- Thyroid function, weight regulation, and the role of iodine
- Energy and nutrient requirements in thyroid disease
- Diagnosis, medical management, and applying the nutrition care process to provide patient-centered nutrition care of hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, and thyroid cancer
- Awareness of additional interventions, including alternative treatments
- Working with special populations, related conditions and issues, and prevention strategies
- Sample food plans, low iodine diet guidelines, list of goitrogens, monitoring recommendations, suggested resources, and more
The book defines the role of nutrition and dietary supplements in thyroid pathology and provides information on their potential roles in management of thyroid conditions. The authors note that there are controversies related to treatment of thyroid patients and recognize and discuss the pros and cons of common alternative therapies.
This course is appropriate for nutrition and dietetics technicians, registered and registered dietitian nutritionists that have an interest in or career path that includes patients with thyroid disorders. A case-study based CPE exam allows the reader to apply information to their clinical setting as if implementing it into practice.
Purchasing Options: Course includes hard copy book, course document, electronic test, and 1 certificate with passing grade. If you already have the book, use the “additional certificate” option.