Dr. Mary Litchford teaches how to sharpen clinical detection skills by interpreting biochemical nutrition care indicators to support nutrition prevention and nutrition diagnoses in this recent webinar recording.
How will healthcare reform change the way you practice? Routine laboratory testing is changing to focus more on health promotion, disease prevention and health outcomes. Sharpen your clinical detection skills interpreting biochemical nutrition care indicators to support nutrition preventions and nutrition diagnoses.
Learn how to interpret commonly ordered labs. Information nutrition professionals need to support nutrition diagnoses and to justify requests for lab tests. Topics include protein status, inflammatory biomarkers, vitamin mineral deficiencies, risk markers for chronic diseases.
Excellent for application of knowledge and skills of nutrition to the overall survey process. - Brenda Richardson, MA, RDN, LD, CD, FAND, Owner/President, Brenda Richardson, MA, RDN, LD, CD, LLC, Salem, IN
After completing this continuing education course, the learner should be able to:
- Describe how healthcare reform will impact the availability of routine laboratory testing.
- Discuss the use of laboratory testing as a tool in health promotions and to support nutrition diagnoses and show positive health outcomes.
- Discuss the role of inflammation on interpretation of lab results.
- Identify risk factors and biomarkers for selected vitamin mineral deficiencies and selected chronic diseases
This course is intended for: RDNs, NDTRs, and CDEs
CDR Activity Number: Recorded 133447
Activity Type: 175 Recorded Pre-Approved CPE
CPE Level: 2
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes:
- 3000 Nutrition Assessment and Diagnosis
- 3060 Laboratory Tests
- 5000 Medical Nutrition Therapy
- 5090 Adults
Additional Learning Needs Codes that may apply (including but not limited to): 5100
Suggested CDR Performance Quality Indicators:
- 4.1.1 Demonstrates effective problem solving and professional judgment to address a need
- 8.1.2 Applies knowledge of food and nutrition as well as the biological, physical and social sciences in practice
- 8.3.1 Maintains the knowledge and skill to manage a variety of disease states and clinical conditions
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends
- 10.2.4 Integrates foundational dietetics knowledge with critical appraisal of assessment data to diagnose nutrition problems (using problem solving, etiology, signs and symptoms [PES] statements), which can be resolved or improved through treatment or nutrition intervention
Additional Performance Indicators may apply (including but not limited to): 4.1.2, 8.1.2, 8.1.3, 10.2.1, 10.2.3
Additional Learning Needs Codes and Performance Indicators may apply.
Dr. Mary Litchford, PhD, RD, LDN, is a trailblazer in the field of dietetics known nationally as an acclaimed speaker, author, medical-legal expert and consultant to health care providers. She began her career in public health nutrition setting up WIC programs and then spent a decade teaching dietetics students at University of North Carolina-Greensboro and North Carolina A & T State University.
For the last 20 years, she has demonstrated her expertise as a nutrition entrepreneur. She is president of CASE Software & Books, a professional and educational resource company focusing on advanced level continuing education for Registered Dietitians and computer-based instructional materials for dietetics students. She also lectures throughout the country at state affiliate meetings, DPG conferences and industry sponsored programs.
She has written 26 professional reference books, 18 instructional software programs for dietetics students, numerous chapters in college textbooks and ADA publications, many referred scholarly articles and other professional publications. She has written numerous continuing education products for the Association of Nutrition & Food Service Professionals and wrote the clinical nutrition curriculum for the Certified Dietary Managers Course for North Carolina Community Colleges.
Dr. Litchford is a consultant to Prosynthesis Labs, and President, Case Software and Books. She has certified that there are no conflicts of interest for this webinar.