It’s time to reopen your dining room – during a pandemic! After months of protecting residents with social distancing and other precautions, CMS has released a memo effective September 17, 2020 which addresses visitation guidance and includes allowance of communal dining.
Psychosocial and nutritional needs of residents have been greatly impacted by the cessation of communal dining on March 13, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The latest CMS memo (QSO-20-39-NH) on Nursing Home visitation addresses the reopening of communal dining. This presentation discusses suggested guidelines to follow for multiple departments to safely open up dining services.
Note: If you purchase the live session, the recording is automatically added to your BDA account. Please allow up to 2 weeks for us to finalize the recording. To access the recording, sign into your BDA account at: https://www.beckydorner.com/ and choose Webinars.
"Yes, this is great! There isn’t anything out there like it to my knowledge. I wish it was available when I was studying for my first CSSD exam."
After completing this continuing education course the learner should be able to:
1. Discuss CMS and Opening Up America Again guidelines affecting communal dining in skilled nursing facilities.
2. Identify essential multi-department tasks to safely reopen dining rooms.
3. Provide participants with tips and suggestions for a phased in approach to reopening dining service.
This course is intended for: RDNs, NDTRs and CDMs
CDR Activity Number: Live: 158557 / Recorded: 158558
Activity Type: 171 Live Webinar/ 175 Recorded Pre-approved CPE
CPE Level: 2
- 1.5.1 Stays current of, complies with and models national, state and local legislation, policies and standards.
- 7.2.9 Develops and communicates awareness of disaster planning and food and water safety.
- 7.3.1 Recognizes the environmental implications of infectious diseases, compromised health conditions and outbreaks and identifies and implements required preventive action for public safety.
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends.
Note: Numerous other Performance Indicators may apply.
This course has been submitted for approval by the Certifying Board of Dietary Managers (CDBM).
Hours: 1.0 Sanitation CE
Approval Number: 165677
Each CDM in attendance will be required to report their CE hours by logging into their online account at www.ANFPonline.org.
CDMs are to retain a copy of the certificate of completion in the event they are audited.
From CBDM: “All CBDM Prior Approved programs are subjected to the CE hour limitations for a program type as defined by CBDM policy. For more information, please refer to The CBDM Guide to Maintaining your Credential”.
Anna de Jesus, MBA, RDN is president of Nutrition Alliance, LLC established in January 2000. She is well respected in the field of nutrition and dining services. Anna has 30 years experience in various roles as consultant, regional dietitian, food service director, expert witness, author and speaker. A strong advocate of continuous improvement, Anna continues to steer Nutrition Alliance in a progressive direction with regulations, dining programs, clinical processes and menus. She is a leader with various organizations including the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Dietetic in Health Care Communities Network, Arizona American Healthcare Association, Dietary Manager’s Association, and Assisted Living Foundation of America, AZ Chapter.
Disclosures: Anna de Jesus has no disclosures to report and certifies that no conflict of interest exists for this program.