Join Kathy Warwick, RD, CDE, for this timely and comprehensive overview of the 2018 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes and learn about developing opportunities for RDNs in diabetes care. This is webinar was done in collaboration with Today’s Dietitian.
The world of diabetes is expanding exponentially. Over 29 million adults in the US have diabetes and another staggering 86 million have prediabetes. The body of knowledge about this very complicated disease is also growing at warp speed. RDNs are charged with practicing evidence-based medical nutrition therapy and it is imperative that they stay current with the most up-to-date guidelines.
The annually-produced American Diabetes Association Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes provides the benchmark guidelines of care for patients and clients living with diabetes.
“I prefer Becky Dorner & Associates to other CPE providers because they have the most relevant, cutting-edge topics at an affordable price. Not only are the continuing education programs enjoyable and useful, but the E-zine and other publications keep me up to date on what... Read More
After completing this continuing education course, the learner should be able to:
- Discuss the key revisions in the 2018 Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes.
- Describe the current nutrition care guidelines for adults with diabetes throughout the continuum of care.
- Identify opportunities for diabetes self-management education during the course of diabetes treatment.E
- Explain the roles and opportunities for RDNs in Diabetes Prevention Programs.
This course is intended for: RDNs, NDTRs, and CDEs
CDR Activity Number: Live 138864/Recorded 130377
Activity Type: 171 Live Webinar OR 175 Recorded Pre-Approved CPE
CPE Level: 2
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes:
- 4040 Disease prevention
- 4120 Life Cycle
- 5190 Diabetes mellitus
- 7170 Reimbursement, coverage
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators:
- 8.1.4 Demonstrates knowledge of nutrient requirements throughout the life span and their role in health promotion and disease management
- 8.1.5 Applies medical nutrition therapy in disease prevention and management
- 8.2.5 Keeps abreast of, advocates for and integrates knowledge of national and local funding models that impact the population and services provided
- 8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends
Additional CDR Learning Need Codes and Performance Indicators may also apply.
Kathy Warwick, RD, CDE is a Registered Dietitian and Certified Diabetes Educator with 34 years of experience in several areas of dietetics practice. She is owner of Professional Nutrition Consultants, LLC in Madison, Mississippi, providing outpatient diabetes education, long term care consultation, hospice consultation, wellness program services, media communications and medical-legal consultation. She has served as an expert witness in numerous nursing home and malpractice lawsuits dealing with issues of malnutrition, weight loss, wound healing and diabetes care. Kathy speaks regularly to medical and professional groups on the subjects of diabetes, various wellness topics, and the role of nutrition in litigation.
Previous work experience includes home health, outpatient education, hospital nutrition support, public health, nursing home consultation, and teaching college level nutrition classes for nursing majors. Kathy speaks regularly to medical and professional groups on the subjects of diabetes, various wellness topics, and the role of nutrition in litigation. She was a speaker for FNCE 2014 and 2015 and has presented multiple webinars.
Kathy is the Editor of newsflash for the Diabetes Care and Education DPG of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. She is Past-President of the Mississippi Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and currently serves as Media Spokesperson for MsAND. Kathy is also a member of the Coordinating Body for the Mississippi Association of Diabetes Educators focusing on advocacy and licensure for diabetes educators in Mississippi.
Disclosures: Consultant/Advisory Board for Hormel Health Labs. No conflict of interest exists for this program.