Free 1 CPE!
Join award winning dietitian, Dr. Mary Litchford, PhD, RDN, LDN and learn how to advance your clinical practice!
Do you routinely screen for dysphagia in new clients with malnutrition and sarcopenia? Evolving research has demonstrated an association between sarcopenia and dysphagia. The prevalence of dysphagia is reported to be up to 50% of older patients. Research demonstrates that dysphagia is associated with malnutrition, sarcopenia, increased mortality, and increased healthcare costs. Advance your clinical practice to incorporate swallowing screening tools into your professional toolbox. Conducting swallow screens is one of the 2022 ACEND competencies for Dietetic Interns.
This complimentary webinar is brought to you with the generous support of
By registering, you agree to allow your information to be shared with Hormel Health Labs.
After completing this continuing education course the learner should be able to:
- Examine the relationships between malnutrition and sarcopenia in patients with dysphagia.
- Discuss the synergistic relationship between nutrition interventions and exercise to promote muscle protein synthesis.
- Discuss screening tools to identify risk assessment tools for dysphagia and swallow screening checklists.
This course is intended for: RDNs and NDTRs
CDR Activity Number: Live 170163 / Recorded: 170164 (Recorded expires on May 31, 2024)
Activity Type: 171 Live Webinar/ 175 Recorded Pre-approved CPE
1.0 CPE CPE Level: 2
CDR Performance Indicators
- 4.1.2 Interprets and integrates evidence-based research and literature in decision-making.
- 10.1.1 Leads intra- and interprofessional teams to identify, develop, implement and evaluate valid and reliable nutrition screening tools and procedures.
- 10.1.3 Compares nutrition screening results with normative references in order to determine nutrition risks to individuals.
- 10.1.4 Determines appropriate service and referral needs based on screening data.
Note: Numerous other Performance Indicators may apply.
Dr. Mary Litchford, PhD, RDN, LDN
Dr. Mary Litchford is an internationally recognized speaker, author, and consultant to healthcare organizations. Her professional career has included clinical practice, university research and teaching, and business consulting. She is president of CASE Software & Books, a professional and educational resource company.
She is Past President of the National Pressure Injury Advisory Panel, 2021 recipient of the JoAnn Maklebust Life Time Achievement Award and was one of the NPIAP representatives on the International Clinical Practice Guideline Governance Group. She received the Excellence in Consultation & Business Practice Award from the Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics for her contributions to translate nutrition science into real world applications for patients.
Disclosures: Dr. Litchford discloses that she is a paid presenter on this topic for Abbott Labs and Nestle Nutrition, however, she certifies that no conflict of interest exists for this program.
Click here for Handouts
To receive your certificate, after listening to the webinar, please sign into your BDA account and follow these instructions:
- Click on the “Add Test to Your Account” button below this message. This will automatically add the test to your account.
- Go to “Member Area” and in your account, click on the “Tests/Certificate” tab.
- Scroll down to “Send or Use Additional Tests/Certificates”. Find the corresponding program and click on “Use”.
- Scroll up to “Tests/Certificates” and click “Start” to obtain your certificate.