COPD Management in the Long-Term Care Setting
Clinical Practice Guideline – CPE Self-Study Program
Professional Approvals: CDR
Course Expiration: 1/10/2021
The COPD Management in the Long Term Care Setting: Clinical Practice Guideline outlines steps for assessment, treatment, and monitoring of patients with COPD. Outcomes that may be expected from the implementation of this clinical practice guideline include the following:
- Earlier identification and better differential diagnosis of COPD
- Higher value care for COPD
- Improvements in a number of aspects of care, including nutritional status and management of multimorbidity.
- Comfort care for patients with end-stage COPD
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a preventable, treatable disease characterized by persistent airflow limitation. COPD is currently the third leading cause of death in the United States and is estimated to affect 14.2% of adults aged 65 and older. Studies suggest that one of every six patients admitted to PA/LTC facilities may have a history of emphysema or COPD.
Course Learning Objectives
After completing this continuing education course, the learner should be able to:
- State 3 treatment goals for patients with COPD.
- Understand the role of nutrition care and exercise in patients with COPD.
- Understand how comorbidities associated with COPD can complicate diagnosis and treatment.
CDR Learning Level: II
Suggested CDR Learning Needs Codes
- 4190 Elderly Nutrition
- 5040 Long-term, intermediate, assisted living
- 5330 Pulmonary Diseases
- 5410 Client protocols, clinical guidelines
Suggested CDR Performance Indicators
- 8.1.5 Applies medical nutrition therapy in disease prevention and management.
- 10.2.4 Integrates foundational dietetics knowledge with critical appraisal of assessment data to diagnose nutrition problems (using problem solving, etiology, signs, and symptoms [PES], which can be resolved or improved through treatment or nutrition intervention.
- 10.2.5 Develops nutrition prescription to communicate required food and nutrient needs.
- 10.2.7 Prioritizes specific nutrition problems(s)
Note: Numerous other CDR Learning Needs Codes and Performance Indicators may apply.